You have filed your returns but didn't have the money to pay what was owed. You may think, "Oh well---I will catch up next year." Before you know it you find yourself several years in arrears and suddenly there is a notice from the IRS, stating that you owe three or four times the original amount.

It's truly amazing how fast tax penalties and interest add up. Now you have a choice, you can write a big fat check and pay the full amount, including interest and penalties. Or you can just keep ignoring them while the penalties and interest keep piling up.

What happens if you owe taxes?

Here’s what could happen if you owe taxes and can’t pay them on time: You might face IRS penalties and interest. Even if you can’t pay by tax day, you should still file your return or at least file for a six-month extension. Then, review your options for how you can pay the IRS what you owe.

In this article, we outline the consequences of not filing or paying on time, as well as what you can do if you owe the IRS.

What happens if you owe the IRS and don’t file or pay

Which Form of Business to Choose

You may wonder if it’s necessary to file your return if you can’t pay your tax bill. However, this is the most important thing. You should file your return or an extension to avoid the  failure to file penalty .This penalty is equal to 5% of the unpaid balance, per month or part of a month, up to a maximum of 25% of unpaid tax.

Note: The 5% per month penalty increases to 15% per month if the failure to file is due to fraud. For returns filed more than 60 days after the due date or extended due date, the minimum penalty is equal to the lesser of $210 or 100% of the unpaid tax (for returns required to be filed in 2019).

Whether you owe back taxes or current taxes, you may be hit with significant penalties and interest accruals over time if you don’t pay. The failure to pay penalty starts at 0.5% of your balance due per month (capped at 25% of the back taxes you owe). The interest rate for underpayment of taxes is currently 6% in May of 2019 but can change quarterly.

What to do if you owe the IRS

Understanding your options will help you determine what to do if you owe the IRS. That way you can come up with a plan. Here are some of the most common options for people who owe and can’t pay.

1. Set up an installment agreement with the IRS.

Taxpayers can set up IRS payment plans, called installment agreements. The type of agreement you can get depends on your situation, including how much you owe and how soon you can pay the balance. You shouldn’t set up an installment agreement if you can pay the balance within 120 days (see #2 below).

Fees or cost: For online payment agreements, the application fee is $149, or $31 if payments are made electronically. The fee is $43 for low-income taxpayers. To apply for a low-income application fee, submit Form 13844.

Action required: Complete an  payment agreement or  Form 9465. You won’t need to submit a financial statement for installment agreements of $50,000 or less. You can also get an  expert to evaluate your situation and identify your best solution.

Advantages or disadvantages: If you set up an installment agreement, the penalty on your unpaid balance reduces to 0.25% per month, until you pay the full balance on schedule. Interest is charged at the short-term federal rate plus 3% (interest may change each quarter). Generally, the IRS can void agreements if you don’t pay on schedule.

Forms:  Form 433-A or  Form 433-F is required if the balance is more than $50,000. You can pay through payroll deductions ( Form 2159, Payroll Deduction Agreement).

2. Request a short-term extension to pay the full balance.

The IRS will provide up to 120 days to taxpayers to pay their full tax balance.

Fees or cost: There’s no fee to request the extension. There is a penalty of 0.5% per month on the unpaid balance.

Action required: Complete an  online payment agreement, call the IRS at (800) 829-1040 or get an expert to handle it for you.

Advantages or disadvantages: This option is convenient for taxpayers who need a short time to pay their full tax bill. The IRS will charge interest at the short-term federal rate plus 3% (interest may change each quarter). With short-term extensions, you avoid the installment payment application fee (see #1), but not  late-payment penalties and interest.

3. Apply for a hardship extension to pay taxes.

The IRS offers options for people in hardship situations, including  currently not collectible status and the  offer in compromise . For an extension based on hardship, you’ll qualify only if you can prove that paying the tax you owe would cause financial hardship, based on IRS financial standards.

Fees or cost: There’s no cost to apply for a hardship extension. There are no penalties, but interest is calculated at the short-term federal rate plus 3% (interest may change each quarter).

Action required: File IRS  Form 1127, Application for Extension of Time for Payment of Tax Due to Undue Hardship. You must include a statement of your assets and liabilities.

4. Get a personal loan.

You could ask a personal contact – maybe a friend or family member – to loan you the money. Fees and cost will vary widely depending on the source. This could be an inexpensive option, but you should use your best judgement.

5. Borrow from your 401(k).

If your 401(k) plan allows for this type of loan, you are generally limited to 50%, with a $50,000 maximum, and you must repay the money within five years.

Fee or cost: There is a possible minimal fee. The plan must also charge interest.

Action required: Check with your plan administrator for details.

Advantages or disadvantages: If it’s allowed, a loan from your 401(k) plan can be a ready and inexpensive source of cash to pay the current or back taxes you owe. However, taking a loan could negatively impact your future retirement savings if you don’t repay it. The loan is treated as a taxable distribution if you don’t make timely payments, leave your company without repaying the loan, or your plan terminates. Also, if you are not yet age 59½, a taxable distribution is subject to the 10% early distribution penalty.

6. Use a debit/credit card.

Various service providers are available for this option.

Fees or cost: Varies; generally about $2.49 to $3.95 (debit card) or 1.87% to 2.35% of the tax balance due (credit card).

Action required: Check with the IRS for a list of service providers.

Advantages or disadvantages: This type of payment is convenient and gives taxpayers greater control and flexibility for making payments. They may also earn points, miles, or other credit card rewards. However, higher credit card balances could negatively impact your credit score, and paying with credit may not be appropriate for people with unmanageable credit card debt.

Failure to File Penalty

Owe the IRS and not sure what to do? We can help

Nugent & Associates can help you figure out which steps to take if you owe taxes but can’t pay. Call today and make an appointment for a free consultation.

At Nugent & Associates, we're not just number crunchers. We bring over 3 decades of invaluable certified public accounting and tax expertise to your company – serving as business and financial strategists who can offer such services as tax and financial planning, investment advice, diligent financial records, and help with estate planning.

Even better, we will give you time to focus on what you do best: running the day-to-day operations that drive your business toward success.

Take advantage of our FREE and no obligation business checkup.

We will visit you at your business at a time and day convenient for you, analyze your numbers, discuss your goals and concerns and report back with a complimentary detailed written analysis to help your business succeed!

At Nugent & Associates, we're not just number crunchers. Our people bring decades of invaluable certified public accounting and financial and tax expertise to you – offering tax and financial strategies to individuals such as yourself. If you have any questions or concerns about your own tax, financial or investment matters, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Experienced tax and financial experts are not just for the super rich. At a reasonable fee you too can maximize your wealth and receive professional guidance for retirement, and/or any tax issues you may be facing, no matter your situation, with a tax and financial expert as your consultant.

Contact Nugent & Associates today. We don't charge for phone calls. You may just find you found an ally in your quest to have a great financial future.

After all, at Nugent & Associates, we succeed when you succeed!



This page is intended to be informational. This website, nor any of the information contained on this site constitutes professional, business, tax or legal advice and is not a substitute for such advice nor does it create a professional-client relationship between you and Nugent & Associates.

State and federal laws change frequently, and the information in this page may not reflect your own state’s laws or the most recent changes to the law.

The information contained within this website should not be considered as a solicitation or an offer for a professional-client relationship. Materials contained in this website are of a general nature and should not be substituted for professional advice. Nugent & Associates is providing this website and the information contained herein only as a convenience to you. Nugent & Associates assumes no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions contained within this website. There is no guarantee that the information included on this site is current, accurate, complete, useful, or reliable.

Tax Planning & Preparation

We assist our clients in individual and business tax planning throughout the year.

Nugent & Associates provides:
  • Year-Round analysis to ensure a smooth and predictable year-end close.
  • Assist in establishing retirement planning.
  • Performs in-depth review of all deductions available.

Financial Statements

Nugent & Associates offers outstanding accounting services and acts as a quasi-controller for companies who do not employ their own full-time accountants.

This allows our clients with more time to focus on new services, new customers and other core business issues.

Business Planning, Budgeting
& Growth Strategies

Nugent & Associates assists it clients with:
  • Starting a new venture, product or service
  • Expanding a current organization, product or service
  • Buying a new business, product or service
  • Turning around a declining business

QuickBooks Training
& Support Services

As Certified QuickBooks Professional Advisors, we can be of assistance with QuickBooks accounting or payroll and help increase your productivity and efficiency.